DPS ROAD TEST - YOUNG ADULTS - AGES 18-24
Green Light Driving Academy is certified by the Texas Department of Public Safety to administer the official DPS Road Test (Skills Test) to adult students. Young adults (ages 18-24) are welcome to test here at our location in Grapevine. Completing the DPS Road Test (Skills Test) will GLDA, will allow young adults the flexibility of testing after normal business hours & on weekends. (Schedule subject to availability)
We are allowed to administer the DPS Road test to young adults (ages 18-24) that have taken the approved young adult driver education course in the State of Texas.
The test is administered from our Grapevine location: 280 N. Main Street, Grapevine, TX 76051 (Old Main Street Shopping Center) and testing will be done in a GLDA vehicle.
Please read through the information below regarding the DPS Road Test at Green Light Driving Academy for eligibility, requirements and pricing. If interested, please click on the link to the right and complete our pre-registration form.
We will contact you within 72 hours of your submission to schedule the DPS Road Test.
AM I ELIGIBLE TO TAKE THE DPS ROAD TEST?
All young adult students (ages 18-24) who take the DPS Road Test (Skills Test) with GLDA or the Texas Department of Public Safety are required by law to:
- complete the 6-hour adult driver education course to get the learner's permit
- possess a valid and non-expired learner license (learner's permit) (restricted driver's license)
- have completed the MANDATORY 1 HOUR “Impact Texas Young Drivers” (ITYD) online video course. (ORIGINAL completion certificate required).
Once the items above are completed, the young adult student can take the DPS Road Test at GLDA or the Texas DPS. If the test is taken at GLDA, once the young adult student has passed the test, we will provide the proper paperwork to take to a Texas Dept. of Public Safety Office to obtain the restricted driver license.
GLDA cannot issue the actual drivers license.
The Documents listed below are REQUIRED by the Texas Department of Public Safety for testing purposes. If is your responsibility to ensure that the documents listed below are provided by the person being tested when arriving for the test. If any of these documents are missing, the young adult student cannot be allowed to take the test and must reschedule. A $35.00 rescheduling fee may apply.
- Valid and non-expired learner's license (learner's permit) (restricted driver's license)
- Certificate from 6-hour Driver Education Course - Certificate form ADE-1317
- ORIGINAL completion certificate for the "Impact Texas Young Drivers" (ITYD) online video course. The certificate is available for printing after completing the video course online and cannot be printed at the Green Light Driving Academy office. More information regarding the ITYD course and a link to the course is provided below. Please Note: The ITYD video course must be dated within 90 days of the date of the test.
The young adult student will take the DPS Road Test in a GLDA car, so there are no vehicle requirements.
WHAT IS THE COST OF THE DRIVING TEST AT GLDA?
DPS Road Test (Skills Test) - Young Adults - $115.00
There will be an $65 Fee for:
- Retaking test after failing;
There will be a $35 Fee for:
- Rescheduling due to not arriving in time for the test (at least 30 minutes prior to scheduled time); or
- Cancelling or rescheduling test less than 48 hours prior to the schedule test.
PLEASE NOTE: THERE ARE NO REFUNDS FOR DPS ROAD TEST FEES.
Payment will be required at time of scheduling and will only be accepted with a Credit/Debit Card or Cash payment only. No checks will be accepted.
- All proper documentation MUST be presented at time of check-in. If unable to provide the proper documents at the time of the scheduled test, the test will have to be rescheduled. A $35 rescheduling fee may apply.
- GLDA MUST have at least 48 hour notice before the test date and time (excluding Sundays) or a $35 rescheduling fee may be charged.
- Payment must be received in order to confirm a date and time for the DPS Road Test.
PLEASE NOTE: THERE ARE NO REFUNDS FOR DPS ROAD TEST FEES.
DO YOU NEED ADDITIONAL PRACTICE BEFORE THE DPS ROAD TEST?
Have you completed behind-the-wheel instruction with another commercial driving school or through private lessons and feel that you need more practice before taking the DPS Road Test? Have you already tested at a DPS office and were unsuccessful?
Green Light Driving Academy now offers several ADULT DPS Road Test Preparation pacages that include:
Overview and/or Review Lessons, Test Preparation Lesson AND the DPS Road Test
The Test Preparation Lesson will involve reviewing the maneuvers required on the test in addition to practicing parallel parking. The overview or review lessons can be used to refresh your skills over other types of driving, such as city driving, freeway driving or just general driving skills.
All lessons and the DPS Road Test will be done in a GLDA vehicle.
- 1 hour pre-test preparation lesson + DPS Road Test = $195
- 2 hours (1 overview lesson and 1 hour pre-test preparation lesson) + DPS Road Test = $270
- 3 hours (2 overview lessons and 1 hour pre-test preparation lesson) + DPS Road Test = $340
- any additional overview lesson hours after 3 = $70 each additional hour
When you pre-register using the link to the right, please make note in your request that you wish to purchase one of our packages above. NOTE: The overview and pre-test preparation lessons will not be given on the same day as the DPS Road Test.
IMPACT TEXAS YOUNG DRIVERS (ITYD)
Impact Texas Young Drivers (ITYD) was developed by the Department of Public Safety with the goal of saving lives through awareness and education. ITYD is a 1 hour informational video that is a prerequisite to the drive skills examination being administered by the Texas Department of Public Safety or Green Light Driving Academy. The ITYD course must be viewed within 90 days of taking the driving test.
Upon completion of the ITYD course the student will receive a Certificate of Completion that must be presented prior to administering the drive skills examination.
The "ITYD" course is available, free of charge, through the Dept. of Public Safely's website at:
For additional information or general questions related to the ITYD course, please visit their FAQs on the ITYD website.
DPS ROAD TEST REGISTRATION
To register for the DPS Road Test - Young Adults, please email firstname.lastname@example.org and provide the following information:
- Full Legal Name
- Date of Birth
- Current Age
- Permit Number (must have a valid permit to test with us)
- Permit Expiration Date
- Person and Phone Number to contact
- Have you taken and completed the 6-hour course to get permit and have the ADE-1317 certificate?
- Have you completed the 1-hour ITYD video course?
- Are you interested in any review or pre-test preparation lessons? **
- ** Address - if interested in pre-test and/or review lessons.
We will contact you by phone or email within 72 hours of your submission.
Please do not submit your request more than once
PHONE: 817-410-TEST (8378)