DPS ROAD TEST - YOUNG ADULTS - AGES 18-24
Green Light Driving Academy is certified by the Texas Department of Public Safety to administer the official DPS Road Test (Skills Test) to adult students (age 18-24) that have taken a State of Texasapproved young adult driver education course. Young adults (ages 18-24) completing the DPS Road Test (Skills Test) will GLDA, will allow young adults the flexibility of testing after normal business hours & on weekends. (Schedule subject to availability)
The test is administered from our Grapevine location: 280 N. Main Street, Grapevine, TX 76051 (Old Main Street Shopping Center) & a GLDA vehicle will be used for the test.
Payment must be made at time of scheduling. No refund will be issued once the test has been scheduled & payment is received.
Please read through the information below regarding the DPS Road Test at Green Light Driving Academy for eligibility, requirements and pricing. If interested, please click on the link to the right and complete our pre-registration form.
We will contact you within 72 hours of your submission to schedule the DPS Road Test.
Information provided in the sections below:
- Am I eligible to take the DPS Road Test?
- Document Requirements
- Impact Texas Young Driver Video
- What is the Cost of the driving test at GLDA
- Do you need additional practice before taking the DPS Road Test?
AM I ELIGIBLE TO TAKE THE DPS ROAD TEST?
All young adult students (ages 18-24) who take the DPS Road Test (Skills Test) with GLDA or the Texas Department of Public Safety are required by law to:
- complete the 6-hour adult driver education course to get the learner's permit
- possess a valid and non-expired learner license (learner's permit) (restricted driver's license). This is not the RECEIPT from the DPS, but the permit that has your picture on it.
- have completed the MANDATORY 1 HOUR “Impact Texas Young Drivers” (ITYD) online video course. (ORIGINAL completion certificate required).
Once the items above are completed, the young adult student can take the DPS Road Test at GLDA or the Texas DPS. If the test is taken at GLDA, once the young adult student has passed the test, we will provide the proper paperwork to take to a Texas Dept. of Public Safety Office to obtain the unrestricted driver license.
GLDA cannot issue the actual drivers license.
The Documents listed below are REQUIRED by the Texas Department of Public Safety for testing purposes. If is your responsibility to ensure that the documents listed below are provided by the person being tested when arriving for the test. If any of these documents are missing, the young adult student cannot be allowed to take the test and must reschedule. A $35.00 rescheduling fee may apply.
- Valid and non-expired learner's license (learner's permit) (restricted driver's license) This is not the RECEIPT from the DPS, but the permit that has your picture on it.
- Certificate from 6-hour Driver Education Course - Certificate form ADE-1317
- ORIGINAL completion certificate for the "Impact Texas Young Drivers" (ITYD) online video course. The certificate is available for printing after completing the video course online and cannot be printed at the Green Light Driving Academy office. More information regarding the ITYD course and a link to the course is provided below. Please Note: The ITYD video course must be dated within 90 days of the date of the test.
The young adult student will take the DPS Road Test in a GLDA car, so there are no vehicle requirements.
IMPACT TEXAS YOUNG DRIVERS (ITYD)
Impact Texas Young Drivers (ITYD) was developed by the Department of Public Safety with the goal of saving lives through awareness and education. ITYD is a 1 hour informational video that is a prerequisite to the drive skills examination being administered by the Texas Department of Public Safety or Green Light Driving Academy. The ITYD course must be viewed within 90 days of taking the driving test.
Upon completion of the ITYD course the student will receive a Certificate of Completion that must be presented prior to administering the drive skills examination.
The "ITYD" course is available, free of charge, through the Dept. of Public Safely's website at:
For additional information or general questions related to the ITYD course, please visit their FAQs on the ITYD website.
WHAT IS THE COST OF THE DRIVING TEST AT GLDA?
DPS Road Test (Skills Test) - Young Adults - $115.00
There will be an $65 Fee for:
- Retaking test after failing;
There will be a $35 Fee for:
- Rescheduling due to not arriving in time for the test (at least 30 minutes prior to scheduled time); or
- Cancelling or rescheduling test less than 48 hours prior to the schedule test.
PLEASE NOTE: THERE ARE NO REFUNDS FOR DPS ROAD TEST FEES.
Payment will be required at time of scheduling and will only be accepted with a Credit/Debit Card (MasterCard, Visa or Discover) or Cash payment only. No checks will be accepted.
- All proper documentation MUST be presented at time of check-in. If unable to provide the proper documents at the time of the scheduled test, the test will have to be rescheduled. A $35 rescheduling fee may apply.
- GLDA MUST have at least 48 hour notice before the test date and time (excluding Sundays) or a $35 rescheduling fee may be charged.
- Payment must be received in order to confirm a date and time for the DPS Road Test.
PLEASE NOTE: THERE ARE NO REFUNDS FOR DPS ROAD TEST FEES.
DO YOU NEED ADDITIONAL PRACTICE BEFORE THE DPS ROAD TEST?
Have you completed behind-the-wheel instruction through private lessons and feel that you need more practice before taking the DPS Road Test? Have you already tested at a DPS office and were unsuccessful?
Green Light Driving Academy now offers several ADULT DPS Road Test Preparation pacages that include:
Overview and/or Review Lessons, Test Preparation Lesson AND the DPS Road Test
The Test Preparation Lesson will involve reviewing the maneuvers required on the test in addition to practicing parallel parking. The overview or review lessons can be used to refresh your skills over other types of driving, such as city driving, freeway driving or just general driving skills.
All lessons and the DPS Road Test will be done in a GLDA vehicle.
- 1 hour pre-test preparation lesson + DPS Road Test = $195
- 3 hours (2 hours overview lessons and 1 hour pre-test preparation lesson) + DPS Road Test = $340
- 7 hours (6 hours of overview lessons and 1 hour pre-test preparation lesson) + DPS Road Test = $590
- any additional overview lesson outside of these packages = $70 each additional hour
When you pre-register using the link to the right, please make note in your request that you wish to purchase one of our packages above. NOTE: The overview and pre-test preparation lessons will not be given on the same day as the DPS Road Test.
DPS ROAD TEST REGISTRATION
If you are between the ages 18 - 24 and did NOT complete a TEEN driver education program...
The cost of the Adult Driving Test is $115.00.
We are currently testing on these days: Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday & Saturday.
Special Scheduling on non-testing days or times may be available on a limited basis for an additional fee. Inquire when scheduling with an office member.
We will contact you by phone or email within 72 hours of your submission.
Please do not submit your request more than once.
PHONE: 817-410-TEST (8378)